Kenneth D. Peters
Kenneth Peters is committed to your bottom line. His eight years as a businessman in the oil industry enable him to understand the pressure you are under to produce results. He will be your partner and carefully listen to your goals for each particular matter before recommending a strategy or presenting alternative steps for handling.
Mr. Peters knows how to keep a focus on the bottom line and understands what business professionals look for in outside counsel, because he previously managed outside law firms when he was in the oil industry.
Mr. Peters represents many of the nation’s largest multi-national corporations and banks in financing arrangements, contract matters, lien adjudications, asset recoveries, and restructurings. He also represents small and mid-size industrial companies and financing companies in a wide variety of practice areas and industries where a strategic common-sense approach is required.
Mr. Peters’ teaching experience at the Lake Forest Graduate School of Management, where he was one of the highest-rated instructors and served on the curriculum council, enables him to provide you with valuable insights based upon your financial and management constraints. He has also taught continuing legal education courses at the Chicago Bar Association and at ExxonMobil to in-house attorneys. He has published articles on a broad range of practice areas.
Mr. Peters resides with his wife and has three children, two of whom are now in college. Mr. Peters spends much of his free time being a fan of the Cubs, Blackhawks, and USC and Illinois football. Mr. Peters is active in the high school orchestra parent association. He also volunteers time and money with The Bradley Cameron Association (Social Activities for Young Adults with Disabilities).
We have the experience and knowledge to quickly recover collateral, from heavy equipment to on-the-road vehicles to aircraft and medical equipment, wherever it may be located.
Litigating business disputes involves several complex areas of law which include a variety of contractual and tort claims such as breach of contract, fraud, tortious interference with contract and breach of fiduciary duty.
The firm is counsel for financial institutions in connection with many loans secured by U.S. flag aircraft, and acts on behalf of sellers of corporate aircraft.
Our corporate reorganization and bankruptcy practice has earned a nationwide reputation for financial workouts, receiverships and bankruptcies on behalf of creditors large and small across the nation.
- Middlebury College, B.A. 1979
- University of Illinois, J.D. 1983
- US District Court, Central District of Illinois
- US District Court, Northern District of Illinois
- US District Court, Western District of Michigan
- US District Court, Southern District of Illinois
- Federal Trial Bar
- US District Court, Eastern District of Michigan
- US Court of Appeals, Sixth Circuit
- US Court of Appeals, Seventh Circuit
- US District Court, Southern District of Indiana
- US District Court, Northern District of Indiana
- US District Court, Eastern District of Wisconsin
- US District Court, Western District of Wisconsin
- US District Court, District of New Mexico
- Pro Hac appearance and/or lead counsel in contract disputes, asset recoveries, lien adjudications, bankruptcies, and trials in: Texas, Tennessee, Florida, New York, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Montana, Alaska, Arizona, Maine, Minnesota, California, Kentucky, Virginia, Georgia, Idaho, Washington, Alabama, Louisiana, Hawaii, South Carolina, New Hampshire, and Massachusetts.
- Chairman of legal committee of National Equipment Finance Association
- National Aircraft Finance Association
- Equipment Lease and Finance Association
- Illinois Bankers Association
Publications & Presentations
- Many presentations on protecting ExxonMobil Oil Corporation given to credit personnel, sales personnel, in-house counsel, and upper management of ExxonMobil Oil Company in Houston, Texas; Fairfax, Virginia; Chicago, Illinois; and Saint John, New Brunswick.
- Continuing Legal Education Seminar presentations at Chicago Bar Association
- Presentations on creditor rights issues or additional legal topics at DePaul University; Loyola University; University of Chicago Business School Alumni Association; University of Illinois College of Law; and other venues.
- Many publications on a wide variety of topics, including a lead cover story article in the Illinois Bar Journal.