Dan concentrates his practice on business law, corporate transactions and counseling. He advises entrepreneurs, boards of directors, inventors, angel & venture capital investors, service providers, innovative startups and early-stage & emerging-growth companies in a variety of industries, including technology, digital, medical device, food, beverage and agriculture.
Dan believes strong client relationships and strong deals are developed over a period of years.
Between 2009 and 2014, Dan co-taught a course on entrepreneurship law and medical innovation with Professor Clinton W. Francis at Northwestern University School of Law. He has also served as a judicial extern at the U.S. District Court, Southern District of California, San Diego for the Honorable Dana M. Sabraw and at the Illinois Appellate Court, Chicago for the Honorable Joy V. Cunningham.
With more than 15 years of experience in law and business as well as experiences spanning from work on his family’s grain and livestock farm in Central Illinois to work at the U.S. Embassy in Slovenia, Dan brings significant and diverse real world experience to his clients. Dan especially enjoys helping clients achieve their business goals in the face of challenging legal circumstances. In addition, he devotes significant time to his pro bono practice, representing clients through the Lawyers for the Creative Arts and has served as a volunteer tax preparer through Ladder Up. Dan lives in Chicago, where he enjoys comedy, woodworking, technology, and building and fixing things.
Representative Legal Achievements
- Negotiated and drafted restated operating agreement and built detailed capitalization scenarios in ownership dispute resolution for software company.
- Sale by stock purchase of a regulated medical waste disposal company to a publicly traded strategic buyer.
- Equity buyout by executives of a food manufacturer in a buyout transaction, following a previous asset purchase deal with a large international grain processor.
- Negotiated international trademark co-existence agreement for China-based fitness company in connection with its strategic acquisition of a worldwide gym franchisor and the rights to franchise its operational system in Asia.
- Drafted intellectual property assignment agreement for medical innovations
- Oversaw multi-state litigation defense team and led negotiations to secure settlement and trademark co-existence agreement for beverage client involved in complex trademark infringement litigation against multi-national corporation.
University of California, Davis School of Law, Juris Doctor; Articles Editor, Business Law Journal;
Senior Articles Editor, Journal of International Law and Policy
Northwestern University School of Law, Visiting Student; Public Service Award
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, Bachelor of Science in Agriculture, High Honors
Daniel P. Stokes
Illinois has enacted several important amendments to the Limited Liability Company Act of Illinois (the “Act”) (805 ILCS 180/1-1 et seq.), and the changes go into effect as of July 1, 2017. The following is a survey of several signific...
Minority Interest/Shareholder Rights: From Drafting Organizational Documents to Completing an M&A Transaction
Daniel P. Stokes will be speaking on drafting and negotiating minority rights provisions in an LLC operating agreement or corporate charter, bylaws, and shareholders’ agreement (e.g., voting or appraisal rights) and how such provisions will ...
Daniel P. Stokes will be speaking on features of convertible debt (a.k.a., convertible bonds or convertible promissory notes), and discuss issues involved in structuring a convertible bond offering for a privately-held company.
Illinois Super Lawyers, List of Rising Stars, Business / Corporate practice area – 2016, 2017, 2018 and 2019.
The list of Illinois Rising Stars is published by Super Lawyers, a service of Thomson Reuters, Legal Division. Super Lawyers uses a patented multiphase selection process which includes peer nominations and evaluations combined with third party research. Each candidate is evaluated on 12 indicators of peer recognition and professional achievement. Attorneys who have been selected to the list of Illinois Rising Stars make up 2.5 percent of lawyers in Illinois who have been in practice for less than ten years. These selections are made on an annual, state-by-state basis
Chicago Bar Association, Business Law Drafting & Negotiating Subcommittee, Chair
Professional and Civic Activities
Polsky Center for Entrepreneurship and Innovation at the University of Chicago Booth School of Business, Start-up Mentor
Lawyers for the Creative Arts, Volunteer Attorney
The Law Project, Volunteer Attorney
Ladder Up Tax Assistance Program, Volunteer