Scott Hamilton is a highly effective solution-driven attorney who combines a broad legal and business perspective with the ability to find practical and cost-efficient resolutions to the myriad issues and challenges facing business. As a recently retired General Counsel and Secretary for NYSE and NASDAQ public companies--most recently a $1.68B NYSE listed manufacturing company—he has developed his deep expertise representing businesses of all sizes and types, from small start-ups to public companies on the NYSE and NASDAQ.
Scott has dedicated his legal career to finding ways for his clients to achieve their business goals."
Scott developed his broad base of legal experience over a wide-ranging legal career, including two federal judicial clerkships, private practice in both large and boutique law firms, serving as an enforcement attorney with the United States Securities and Exchange Commission, and as an in-house attorney working his way up to General Counsel.
Scott developed his extensive business experience representing businesses both as outside and in-house counsel, but more importantly, by engaging first-hand as a business advisor to C-Suite officers, directors and senior executive teams. These issues include actively participating in the strategic and tactical business decisions related to:
- Preparing for initial public and follow-on offerings
- Securities and public company compliance
- Mergers, acquisitions, dispositions, joint ventures and investments
- Resource allocation
- Capital structure
- Financings and registering debt in the public markets
- Policies and procedures
- Strategic direction
- Relationships with customers, vendors and joint venture partners
In addition to his volunteer work, Scott is an avid sports fan and enjoys cycling, scuba diving, skiing, and competing in triathlons. He is a voracious reader of history and biography. Scott is married to Ann Hamilton, who is the General Counsel for a Chicago area private company. Their son, Ross, is a Neurologist serving in the United States Navy’s Medical Corps.
Representative Legal Achievements
- Prepared Global Brass and Copper Holdings, Inc. for and conducted its initial public and follow-on offerings on the NYSE.
- Created responsive, business-focused, quality-oriented legal departments at three separate public companies.
- Directed legal support and negotiated the largest wastewater outsourcing project in North America between Veolia North America and the Milwaukee Metropolitan Sewerage District, a 10-year contract valued at over $400M, providing wastewater services for 1.1 million people in 28 municipalities.
- Participated on cross-functional team to restructure the largest municipal water system outsourcing project in North America between Veolia North America and the City of Indianapolis, a 20-year contract valued at $1.5B.
- Drafted and served as lead negotiator in long-term outsourcing and privatization projects with revenues and projected backlog of over $500M.
Pro Bono & Community
- Board member and mentor to -- The LeaderShop, LaGrange, Illinois
- Board Member -- Patient & Family Advisory Board, Robert H. Lurie Comprehensive Cancer Center, Northwestern Hospital, Chicago, Illinois
- National Association of Corporate Directors
- American Bar Association
- Association of Corporation Counsel